What is the Best Doctor to See for Knee Pain?
If you’re suffering from chronic knee pain, you may be wondering what type of doctor you should see. There are many different healthcare professionals who can diagnose and treat knee pain, so it can be confusing to know where to start. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of doctors who can help with knee pain and help you decide which one is the best for you.
At New York Knee Pain Doctor, we understand how debilitating knee pain can be. That’s why we specialize in minimally invasive pain treatments that don’t rely on opioids or surgeries. As board-certified interventional pain doctors, we always diagnose the root cause of the problem to provide you with the most effective treatment options. Plus, we offer free insurance verification before your first appointment to ensure that you can get the care you need.
Types of Doctors Who Treat Knee Pain
When it comes to knee pain, there are several different types of doctors who can help. Each type of doctor has a unique area of expertise, so it’s important to understand the differences between them. Here are some of the most common types of doctors who treat knee pain:
- Primary Care Physician: Your primary care physician is typically your first point of contact for any health concerns. They can diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions, including knee pain. If your knee pain is mild or has just started, your primary care physician may be able to help you manage your symptoms.
- Orthopedic Surgeon: Orthopedic surgeons specialize in treating conditions related to the musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons. They can perform surgeries to repair or replace damaged joints, including knee replacements. If your knee pain is severe and has not responded to other treatments, an orthopedic surgeon may be the right choice for you.
- Sports Medicine Doctor: Sports medicine doctors specialize in treating injuries and conditions related to physical activity. They can diagnose and treat knee injuries caused by sports or other physical activities. If you’re an athlete or have an active lifestyle, a sports medicine doctor may be the best choice for you.
- Rheumatologist: Rheumatologists specialize in treating conditions that affect the joints, muscles, and bones. They can diagnose and treat conditions such as arthritis and autoimmune disorders that can cause knee pain. If your knee pain is caused by an underlying condition, a rheumatologist may be the best choice for you.
- Physical Therapist: Physical therapists specialize in helping patients recover from injuries and conditions related to the musculoskeletal system. They can create exercise and rehabilitation programs that can help reduce knee pain and improve mobility. If your knee pain is caused by a recent injury, a physical therapist may be the best choice for you.
- Interventional Pain Specialist: Interventional pain specialists are doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating chronic pain conditions using minimally invasive procedures. They can diagnose the root cause of knee pain and provide treatment options that don’t involve opioids or surgery. If your knee pain is chronic and has not responded to other treatments, an interventional pain specialist may be the best choice for you.
Which Doctor Should You See for Knee Pain?
Choosing the right doctor for your knee pain depends on several factors, including the severity of your pain, the cause of your pain, and your personal preferences. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a doctor for knee pain:
- Severity of Pain: If your knee pain is mild or has just started, you may be able to manage your symptoms with home remedies such as rest, ice, compression, and elevation. In this case, you may not need to see a doctor at all. However, if your knee pain is severe, has lasted for more than a few days, or is interfering with your daily activities, you should see a doctor.
- Cause of Pain: The cause of your knee pain can also help you determine which doctor to see. If your knee pain is caused by an injury or overuse, a sports medicine doctor or physical therapist may be the best choice for you. If your knee pain is caused by arthritis or another underlying condition, a rheumatologist may be the best choice for you.
- Personal Preferences: Finally, your personal preferences can also play a role in choosing a doctor for knee pain. You may feel more comfortable seeing a specific type of doctor, or you may prefer a certain treatment approach. At New York Knee Pain Doctor, we understand that everyone has unique needs and preferences, which is why we offer a range of minimally invasive pain treatments that can be tailored to your specific condition.
Minimally Invasive Pain Treatments for Knee Pain
At New York Knee Pain Doctor, we specialize in minimally invasive pain treatments that don’t rely on opioids or surgeries. Our treatments are designed to diagnose and treat the root cause of your knee pain, so you can get back to your normal activities as quickly as possible. Here are some of the treatments we offer:
- Viscosupplementation: Viscosupplementation is a procedure in which a gel-like substance is injected into the knee joint to provide lubrication and cushioning. This can help reduce pain and improve mobility in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy: PRP therapy is a procedure in which a patient’s own blood is processed to concentrate the platelets, which are then injected into the knee joint. Platelets contain growth factors that promote healing and reduce inflammation in the knee.
Sick of your Knee Pain?
Book an Appointment!
We offer free insurance verification! Fill out the form and expect a call from one of our agents:
- Corticosteroid Injections: Corticosteroid injections are a common treatment for knee pain caused by inflammation. The medication is injected directly into the knee joint to help reduce pain and swelling.
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA): RFA is a minimally invasive procedure that uses heat energy to disrupt the nerves that transmit pain signals from the knee joint to the brain. This can provide long-lasting pain relief for patients with chronic knee pain.
These are just a few of the minimally invasive pain treatments we offer at New York Knee Pain Doctor. Our board-certified interventional pain doctors will work with you to determine the best treatment approach for your specific condition.
Find Your Nearest Knee Pain Treatment Center
Our Manhattan NY knee pain clinic is conveniently located on 290 Madison Avenue Suite 203
If you’re experiencing knee pain, it’s important to seek medical attention from a qualified healthcare professional. At New York Knee Pain Doctor, we specialize in minimally invasive pain treatments that don’t rely on opioids or surgeries. Our board-certified interventional pain doctors will diagnose the root cause of your knee pain and provide you with personalized treatment options that can help reduce your pain and improve your mobility. Contact us today to schedule your free insurance verification and get started on the path to pain-free living.
FEATURED POSTS BY PAIN DOCTORS
What Doctor to See for Knee Pain: A Comprehensive Guide to Knee Pain Specialists
What Doctor to See for Knee Pain: A Comprehensive Guide to Knee Pain SpecialistsAre you experiencing knee pain and wondering what doctor to see? Knee pain is a common issue that affects millions of people, and it can be caused by various factors. Some people may...
How Do I Know If My Knee Pain Is Serious?
How Do I Know If My Knee Pain Is Serious?Knee pain is a common complaint, affecting millions of people worldwide. Knee pain can range from a minor injury, such as a sprain or strain, to a serious condition that requires immediate medical attention. In this article, we...
Can I See A Chiropractor for Knee Pain?
Can I See A Chiropractor for Knee Pain?Knee pain can be a debilitating condition that can prevent you from engaging in your daily activities. Whether you have experienced an injury or have chronic knee pain, it can be challenging to find the right treatment to reduce...
Can Sciatica Cause Knee Pain?
Can Sciatica Cause Knee Pain?If you're experiencing knee pain, it's important to get to the root cause of the problem to determine the best treatment plan. While knee pain can be caused by a variety of issues, it's possible that your knee pain could be a symptom of a...
Meet Our Team of Knee Pain Specialists
KNOW OUR TEAM OF HARVARD TRAINED KNEE SPECIALISTS
Knee Pain Doctor in New York
Dr. Michael Nguyen
Dr. Michael is available for Knee Pain treatment consultations in Manhattan, New York.
Knee Pain Doctor in New Jersey
Dr. George Hanna
Dr. Hanna is available for Knee Pain treatment consultations in Manhattan, New York.
Knee Pain Doctor in New York
Dr. Shane Volney
Dr. Volney is available for Knee Pain treatment consultations in Manhattan, New York.
Keeping you safe during COVID-19
Learn about our health & safety protocol.
contact us today
Speak instantly with one of our team members; they will answer any questions you may have regarding insurance coverage, booking an appointment and our knee pain center in New York and New Jersey.
Visit our Book Appointment page and instantly request an appointment at our Manhattan knee pain clinic. We offer Free Insurance Verification before your appointment.