You’ve decided that this summer is when you’ll finally tackle water skiing. Even though this was something you probably should have tried in your youth, as long as you can still squeeze into a bathing suit you might as well give it a try! You get suited up, strapped in, and await your friend’s signal that the boat is beginning its acceleration. Your first attempt results in a face full of water, but you’re not discouraged. Giving it a second try, you almost get yourself standing when your knee feels weak and buckles. Another unsuccessful attempt, but you’re more worried and the pain and swelling you feel underneath your wetsuit than the laughing coming from the boat.
Knee pain commonly affects many people on a daily basis, and can result from a sports injury like water skiing, an accident, or a fall. Sudden acute traumas like these cause swelling and redness in your knee, but if it doesn’t subside after a few days then it’s time to seek knee treatment in Manhattan. At Pain Treatment Specialists, our team of Harvard trained knee pain doctors are well-equipped to treat acute knee injuries, as well as chronic knee pain stemming from knee arthritis or knee joint issues. We offer a wide variety of minimally invasive treatment options for knee pain that will get you back on the lake for your shot at water skiing redemption.
What is the Most Effective Knee Treatment in Manhattan?
At Pain Treatment Specialists, our board certified knee pain doctors in NYC have many knee treatment options at their disposal. Because their midtown Manhattan knee pain clinic is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, your knee pain doctor chooses the knee treatment in Manhattan that works best for your specific knee pain concerns. Some of the highly effective treatments offered at Pain Treatment Specialists include:
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy reduces the pain and swelling in your affected knee by building strength and increasing mobility and flexibility. A sports injury is often treated with a combination of minimally invasive pain medicine treatments in conjunction with physical therapy. The goal of physical therapy is building your knee strength through a series of customized movements and exercises.
- Radiofrequency Ablation: If you suffer from chronic knee pain and have ever considered knee surgery, radiofrequency ablation of the genicular nerve (GNRFA) is a highly-effective treatment alternative. Your knee pain doctor in Manhattan uses a special x-ray to locate the troublesome nerve, and then uses needles to heat up the nerve, which blocks pain signals.
- Steroid Knee Injection: This knee treatment in Manhattan uses a corticosteroid injection for quick-acting pain relief. A local anesthetic is used to numb the injection area, and your pain doctor uses x-ray guidance to direct a small needle into the inflamed knee joint.
When you schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll learn about the wide array of pain management treatments that are not only effective at pain relief, but also avoid unnecessary surgery.
What Type of Doctor Offers The Best Knee Pain Treatment Options?
The type of doctor you’re looking for is a pain management doctor. A pain management doctor, or an interventional pain doctor, does not steer you toward knee surgery or knee replacement surgery. The pain management doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists have spent their careers studying pain medicine, anesthesiology, and fluoroscopic-guided knee pain treatments. This allows them to provide the best knee treatments at their knee pain clinic in midtown Manhattan. Some of the pain doctors on their team include:
- Dr. George Hanna: As a native New Yorker, Dr. Hanna is thrilled to provide knee pain relief for the residents of NYC and northern New Jersey. He was appointed Director of Pain Innovations and Technology during his time at Harvard Medical School, and was hired as Medical Director of Pain Management at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. When you meet with Dr. Hanna, you’re not only meeting with one of the top knee pain doctors in NYC, you’re also meeting with someone who cares deeply about eliminating pain from your life.
- Dr. Volney: Like Dr. Hanna, Dr. Volney also was a Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School, where he trained medical students in anesthesiology, pain medicine, and palliative care. His expertise is highly regarded in the field of pain medicine. Dr. Volney regularly authors textbooks chapters on this topic, and speaks at national medical conferences.
Dr. Volney and Dr. Hanna are just two of our board certified pain doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists, the top knee pain doctors in New York City. Book an appointment today to see how our knee pain doctors get you back to full strength.
Is There An Effective Treatment for Knee Pain At Home?
The most effective treatment for swelling and redness or pain and swelling is making an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists for knee treatments in Manhattan. However, before your appointment there are some at-home remedies you can use for knee pain relief.
- Incorporate the RICE Method: RICE is a common acronym standing for “rest, ice, compress, and elevate.” This method is used for sports injuries, acute injuries, or falls. If you suffer from chronic knee pain, RICE may not provide sufficient knee pain relief. The first letter in RICE means that you need to properly rest your knee from any strenuous activities. You may need to alter your daily routine to ensure proper rest for your knee, which includes altering your exercise regimen. Ice your knee in 20 minute intervals to reduce pain and swelling, and compress your knee with an athletic bandage to provide additional support. Elevate your knee with pillows or a chair to reduce swelling and provide pain relief.
- OTC Medicines Are Fine: Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines work fine for pain relief. This is a temporary fix, and will not provide long-term pain relief. However, if you’re looking for a way to dull your knee pain, make sure to follow the dosing instructions and do not take more than allotted during a 24-hour period.
Book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, where you’ll find the best knee treatments in Manhattan. Located near Bryant Park and Penn Station, our team of Harvard-trained pain management doctors offer a wide variety of highly-effective knee pain treatments. The next time you put on water skis, you can feel confident that the third time’s a charm for conquering a new water sport.