Runners depend on knees for shock absorption, perfecting their stride, and the ability to round corners with ease. When anything in your knee feels off, it throws off your entire training routine. Instead of getting excited for a sweaty run, you now try to avoid long distances or limit the time you’re pounding the pavement. In cases of extreme knee pain, you’re starting to look at the work “run” backwards… meaning it’s a “nur” for you.
At Pain Treatment Specialists, our team of pain management doctors know how difficult it is living with chronic knee pain. This is why our board certified and Harvard trained knee pain specialists use interventional pain medicine to treat chronic knee pain. When you meet with a knee pain doc in New York, you’ll find minimally invasive solutions for your knee pain that are designed to not only strengthen knee muscles, but also get rid of your pain for good. You don’t have to keep saying “nur” to an activity that you love due to pesky knee joint pain!
Where Can I Find a Top Knee Pain Doc in New York?
You’ll find a top knee pain doc in New York at Midtown Manhattan’s Pain Treatment Specialists. Here, you’ll find not just one top pain physician, but an entire team of board certified and Harvard trained knee pain specialists. This is because the pain management doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists are carefully selected to ensure only the highest level of care is provided at our pain clinic in Midtown. Some of the best knee doctors in NYC at our pain clinic include:
- Michael Nguyen: Dr. Nguyen completed his advanced pain fellowship training, as well as his residency, at Harvard Medical School. This was followed by time as a Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School, where he trained new graduates in cutting-edge interventional pain procedures. Dr. Nguyen’s expertise in the field of pain management makes him highly sought-after by clients from across the country, and Pain Treatment Specialists is lucky to have him as their medical director.
- George Hanna: As a Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School in anesthesiology, Dr. Hanna used his kind and knowledgeable demeanor to teach new medical students about pain management. He uses this same temperament as a knee doctor in NYC, where his patient reviews all describe how easy it was to meet with him. If you’re looking for an expert pain physician in NYC who truly cares about your knee pain, scheduling an appointment with Dr. Hanna is a must.
When you book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll meet with a knee pain doc in New York who has the training and expertise needed for the proper diagnosis and treatment of your knee pain.
How Does a Knee Doctor Treat Knee Joint Pain?
During your initial consultation at Pain Treatment Specialists, your knee pain doc in New York takes the time to find out details about your specific knee pain. You’ll be asked questions about your physical activity, movements that cause pain, and how long you’ve been experiencing knee pain. This is followed by imaging tests that confirm the source of your knee pain, and a customized knee pain treatment plan. Knee surgery is not recommended unless it is medically necessary, and instead our knee doctors use minimally invasive knee pain treatments including:
- Physical Therapy: A physical therapist uses exercise science to strengthen the muscles in your knee, which prevents future damage like meniscus tears or bursitis. A strong knee is a healthy knee, and your physical therapist knows which exercises work to build up your knee’s stamina and strength. PT is also used as a rehabilitation tool to repair injured tissues, muscles, and ligaments.
- Steroid Knee Injection: A corticosteroid reduces swelling and inflammation. This is why it is used during a steroid knee injection for its anti-inflammatory properties and pain relief. Your knee pain doc in New York uses a special x-ray to determine the precise location of your pain, and then administers the steroid injection.
Book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists and see how great your knee feels after minimally invasive knee pain treatments in NYC.
What Type of Physical Activity is Best for Knee Pain?
Until you’ve got a handle on your knee pain, you might need to put that long run on the shelf. This doesn’t mean that you should stop physical activity all together, but the stress placed on your knee as you run might be too intense. Eventually, after you meet with your knee pain specialists, you’ll get back to running and be even stronger than before. However, in the meantime, your knee might be better suited for different types of physical activity that do not involve extreme stress. Our pain management doctors recommend the following physical activities to keep your knee fluid and flexible:
- Swimming and Water Aerobics: The buoyancy of water takes the weight off of your knee joint, and allows you to get a full range of motion. Imagine doing the same running motion that you would on pavement, but instead it glides smoothly through the water. Keeping your legs and knees moving keeps your knee joint flexible and prevents atrophy and stiffness.
- Yoga or Tai Chi: When you’re used to getting a “runner’s high”, your body and brain miss this feeling when you’re forced to skip a run. Yoga and tai chi are not only great for keeping your body flexible and fit, but are also a practice in mindfulness. You’ll be in a better place mentally after completing these sessions.
- Stationary Bike: No, it’s not as fun as cruising through your neighborhood, but a stationary bike lets you choose a low resistance and still get some miles in without adding too much stress to your knee joint.
Schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists and meet with a knee pain doc in New York who cares about fixing your knee pain. Our pain clinic is located near Penn Station on Madison Avenue, which makes it easily accessible from across NYC. You’re just one phone call away from saying “Yes!” to your favorite running route.