When you’re struggling with knee pain on a consistent basis, the thought of knee replacement surgery may cross your mind. You’ve had enough of the constant pain every time you sit, stand, squat, walk, run, or make any other movement that requires your knee’s range of motion. Not only is knee pain physically taxing, but it creates a mental burden as well. You begin to overthink every situation in order to have an “escape plan” in case your knee pain strikes. This causes you to cancel plans with friends, or make excuses for why you can’t join them. However, knee pain treatments don’t have to be as invasive as knee replacement surgery, and can involve minimally invasive treatment options that are highly effective.
When you meet with a knee Dr. in New York, such as the team at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll find pain management doctors who have a wide variety of minimally invasive treatment options. Located on Madison Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, you’ll find a knee Dr. in New York who is not only Harvard trained, but also an expert in interventional pain medicine. Our pain doctors are different from orthopedic surgeons in that they do not suggest knee replacement surgery unless medically necessary.
Meet a Top Knee Dr. in New York
Not every knee Dr. in New York is the same. An orthopedic surgeon is different from a pain management doctor. If you live in New York, NY and make a call to an orthopedic surgeon for knee pain, know that knee replacement surgery is an option that will be discussed. This is because orthopedic surgeons receive their primary training in orthopedic surgery, and utilize this for most knee pain cases. However, at Pain Treatment Specialists, our pain doctors are trained in interventional pain medicine, which uses more conservative methods for treating chronic pain. By understanding how the body produces pain signals, our pain doctors have an in-depth understanding of what methods work best to mitigate these pain signals and symptoms. Some of our top knee Dr. in New York include:
- Dr. Shane Volney: Dr. Volney completed his pain management fellowship at The Massachusetts General Hospital– Harvard Medical School, which was followed by a fellowship in palliative medicine at Harvard. Following this, he serves as a Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School for seven years, teaching medical students in the fields of palliative care, pain medicine, and anesthesiology. This depth of experience makes Dr. Volney one of the most qualified pain doctors in NYC.
- Dr. George Hanna: Dr. Hanna is a former Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School, who was later appointed Director of Pain Innovations and Technology, also at Harvard. Combined with his double board certifications in anesthesiology, interventional pain management, and pain medicine, and you’ll find an expert knee Dr. in New York. Dr. Hanna’s patients also note not only his expertise in pain management, but also his kind and caring bedside manner. If you’re at all reticent to seek pain treatment for your knee, know that Dr. Hanna will make you feel at ease.
When you schedule an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you’ll meet with a knee Dr. in New York who has extensive training in pain management.
What are the Best Minimally Invasive Knee Pain Treatment Options?
A knee replacement should only be considered after all other options are exhausted. This is because this type of procedure is not only risky, but also involves a long recovery time. You can expect 4-6 weeks total of rehabilitation and recovery. This is a major, life-changing surgery for both you and your loved ones, with no guarantee that it will provide effective pain relief. Instead, meet with a knee Dr. in New York who uses minimally invasive treatment options that provide effective pain relief with minimal recovery time. At Pain Treatment Specialists, we provide the following knee pain treatments at our medical centers:
- Physical Therapy: A physical therapist uses their expertise in exercise science to create a series of exercises and movements designed to build strength and stability in your knee. Your knee Dr. in New York works with a physical therapist to find exercises that work to address your specific knee pain concerns.
- Steroid Injections: Steroid injections are a highly effective and minimally invasive option for pain relief. Your knee Dr. in New York uses a corticosteroid injection to calm the swelling and irritation in your knee. The pain relief from a steroid injection typically lasts several weeks, or even a few months.
- Genicular Nerve Block: Also known as G-block, this procedure can only be administered at the medical centers of a board certified pain doctor. Genicular nerves are sensory nerves that move pain signals to the brain, and a G-block works to stop the transmission of these pain signals. Your knee pain Dr. uses a special x-ray to determine the exact location of your affected genicular nerves, and then delivers a series of injections around your knee to each affected genicular nerve.
Don’t spend another day waiting for knee pain to sneak up on you. Take the proactive approach of meeting with a knee Dr. in New York at Pain Treatment Specialists.
What Can I do at Home for Knee Pain?
You can find effective knee pain relief through at-home remedies. However, you should still follow through with your appointment at a knee Dr. in New York. Our knee pain specialists suggest the following treatments for chronic knee pain:
- RICE: This acronym stands for “rest, ice, compress, and elevate.” By resting your knee from strenuous activities, icing for 20 minutes at a time, compressing with a bandage, and elevating with a pillow, you’ll find effective pain relief.
- Use over the counter medicines for knee pain relief, but pay attention to how much you can take over a 24-hour period.
- Keep your knee moving with fluid motions and low-impact exercises, such as swimming, yoga, and tai chi.
Book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, where you’ll meet with an expert knee Dr. in New York. With a medical center located on Madison Avenue near Penn Station, our pain clinic is easily accessible from anywhere in NYC.