Our knees are one of the first things that give away our age. Talking about knee pain, referencing it as a reason why you can’t do a certain activity, and complaining about its aches and pains are a sure sign that your knees are aging. While normal wear and tear occurs with your knee joints as we age, there could also be some underlying issues that are causing your knee pain. How do you know what the real culprit is behind your knee pain? By meeting with a knee Dr. in Manhattan, you’ll find out the proper diagnosis and treatment of your chronic knee pain.
At Pain Treatment Specialists , you’ll find a wide variety of treatment options for your chronic knee pain. Our Harvard trained knee pain doctors use conservative treatments for knee pain that are both minimally invasive and also highly effective. Some of the treatment options utilized by our knee pain specialists include physical therapy, steroid injections, and nerve blocks. After a visit with a knee Dr. in Manhattan, you’ll feel that “age is just a number”, and you’re ready to tackle the many activities you’ve been missing out on.
Who is the Best Knee Dr. in Manhattan?
The answer to “Who is the best knee Dr. in Manhattan?” is as easy as saying “Pain Treatment Specialists! This is because we have not just one top-rated knee pain specialist, but an entire team of them. Each of our pain management doctors is chosen for their extensive backgrounds in pain medicine and anesthesiology, and all of our doctors are fellowship trained in these specific areas. What this means is that you’ll receive a different kind of care from a pain doctor versus an orthopedic surgeon. This is because orthopedic surgeons utilize orthopedic care, which typically results in knee replacement surgery. At Pain Treatment Specialists, we prefer to utilize more conservative treatments that involve minimally invasive procedures. Some of our top knee pain doctors in NYC include:
- Dr. Namrata Khimani: Dr. Khimani is well-respected in the pain medicine community, and regularly has her peers travel to her pain clinic in NYC and observe the latest knee pain treatments. She is an honors graduate of Harvard Medical School, and is a nationally recognized pain specialist by the American Board of Anesthesiology. She fellowship trained at Brigham and Women’s Hospital: Harvard Medical School in interventional pain management.
- Dr. Shane Volney: Dr. Volney fellowship trained at The Massachusetts General Hospital—Harvard Medical School in pain management. He is a former Clinical Instructor at Harvard, where he taught pain medicine, palliative care, and anesthesiology. His contributions to medical textbooks about anesthesiology inform both medical students and colleagues about the latest advances in pain medicine.
Dr. Volney and Dr. Khimani are just two of the top knee pain doctors in NYC at Pain Treatment Specialists. Schedule an appointment today and learn how a knee Dr. in Manhattan uses their expertise to return you to a pain-free life.
What are the Top Minimally Invasive Treatment Options for Knee Pain?
Since all of the pain doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists have extensive training in pain medicine, they understand how more conservative treatments for knee pain are more effective than knee replacement surgery. Not only is knee surgery invasive and dangerous, there is also an extended recovery time while you heal. A typical knee surgery takes 4-6 weeks to heal completely, and this is then followed by rounds of physical therapy. This is a lot of time and pain to endure without knowing if the final outcome will be worth it. The benefit of using more conservative treatments is that you can immediately tell if they’re working. This allows you to communicate clearly with your knee Dr. in Manhattan about what’s working, or what other treatment options will work for your knee pain. Some of the minimally invasive knee pain treatment options offered at our NYC pain clinic include:
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapists have a background in exercise science and sports medicine, and use this knowledge in order to create a customized treatment plan that works for your specific knee injury. By using exercises, weights, and aerobic activities, your physical therapy sessions focus on making your knee stronger and more stable.
- Steroid Injections: Steroid injections are used to relieve pain and swelling associated with knee pain. Your knee pain doctor administers an injection of corticosteroid into your knee, and you’ll feel immediate pain relief.
- G-Block: Your genicular nerves are responsible for transmitting pain signals to your brain. During a G-block, your knee pain doctor uses a special x-ray to determine the precise location of the affected genicular nerves. Then, and injection of a steroid and local anesthetic is used to block the genicular nerves from transmitting pain. You may need 2-3 injections around the knee to block all affected nerves, but there is no recovery time associated with this procedure.
Your knee Dr. in Manhattan will outline these minimally invasive procedures after the proper diagnosis of your knee pain. You can trust that the pain medicine doctors at Pain Treatment Specialists create a customized treatment plan for every patient that visits their Midtown Manhattan pain clinic.
Can I Treat My Knee Pain At Home?
Yes, you can find relief from at-home knee pain remedies. While you should still move forward with your appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists, you can still utilize these techniques to make your day a little easier.
Begin by using the popular acronym RICE. This stands for “rest, ice, compress, and elevate”, and when used together is a powerful system for battling knee pain. You don’t need any special equipment other than an ice pack, heating pad, and compression bandage to find knee pain relief.
While it’s important to rest your knee, keeping it moving is also a good way to keep your knee joints fluid and prevent them from becoming stiff. Swimming, yoga, and tai chi are all great examples of low-impact exercises that keep your knee moving without adding extra stress.
Book an appointment at Pain Treatment Specialists and see how easy it is to defy the aging process and find long-lasting knee pain relief. You’ll find our pain clinic in Midtown Manhattan, located near Grand Central Station on Madison Avenue.