What’s The Best Knee Pain Treatment? | A Harvard Doctor Weighs In
If you’re looking for the latest treatments for your knee pain manhattan, then this Harvard clinic Manhattan will help you. Nowadays, many orthopedic surgeons can be too quick to suggest surgery and narcotics to treat your knee. However, knee surgery involves many risks and is not always necessary.
The best knee pain manhattan is provided by this state of the Harvard clinic located in Midtown Manhattan. It is not too far from The United Nations and is conveniently based in the heart of The Big Apple. It houses a team of board certified pain doctors who are experts in treating a wide range of knee joint conditions. Best of all, you won’t have to worry about knee surgeries, narcotics, NSAIDs or opioids. This modern and friendly clinic is a Center of Excellence and prides itself on using the most advanced minimally invasive knee pain treatments.
So, what are the best knee pain treatments? Let’s look at the latest cutting edge treatments provided by Harvard pain specialists.
Hyaluronic Acid Injections
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a substance that is produced naturally by the body. It ensures our cartilage is lubricated and supple so that the ends of the bones can glide smoothly one over the other across different joints in the body.
If you have swelling and redness in your knees, it might be because you have a condition like arthritis. Arthritis can cause cartilage to wear down over time. This means that your joints are inflamed and swollen due to friction in the joint. Bony spurs might even have formed.
Hyaluronic acid injections can solve this problem by lubricating your knee joint. This enables the joint to glide smoothly and no longer be stiff, swollen or painful.
Steroid injections are a fast and highly effective way to provide instant pain relief. Pain doctors inject steroid medicine directly into the knee joint. This calms down aggravated nerves and alleviates any pain and discomfort. Some individuals receive 2-3 steroid injections for maximum effect.
Steroid injections are quick and simple. They enable patients to return to daily activities with relative ease and work well in conjunction with physical therapy.
Genicular Nerve Block
A genicular nerve block helps many patients to avoid unnecessary knee surgery. The genicular nerves are located in the knee and can send pain signals from the knee joint to the brain.
Genicular nerve blocks work on the principle that by blocking the genicular nerves, they are unable to send pain information to the brain. A pain doctor injects local anesthetic near the genicular nerves in order to ‘block’ this pain and provide instant and long-term pain relief.
Genicular nerves are a safe and popular treatment option. They are well-received by many patients and boast highly successful outcomes.
Radiofrequency Ablation of the Genicular Nerve
Radiofrequency ablation is an exciting area of pain medicine which avoids steroid medicine and narcotics. This treatment option uses thermal energy to deactivate the genicular nerves in the knee.
During this procedure, a pain doctor uses a small generator to transmit small amounts of RF energy to the genicular nerves in the knee joint. The RF energy heats up the nerves and deactivates them. This means they are unable to send pain information from the genicular nerves to the brain. As a result, long-term pain relief is achieved without having to undergo risky surgeries or take narcotics.
Why Do I Have Knee Pain?
Now that we’ve looked at some of the most popular and highly effective knee treatments, let’s look at why you might be struggling with knee pain.
There are many reasons you may experience knee issues. That’s why it’s important to book an appointment with a board certified Harvard doctor in Manhattan, New York City. A top-rated pain doctor will spend time with you to understand your knee problem. They might even take blood and order scans (like X-Ray or ultrasound) to gain a diagnosis. They will then use this information to create a custom care plan to suit your needs and requirements. Below are some of the most common reasons individuals experience knee pain.
- Bursitis – the bursa are small fluid filled sacs that help to cushion the knee joint. The bursa can sometimes become inflamed and this creates swelling and redness in the knee joint.
- Dislocated knee cap – if you have a sudden blow or impact to the side of the knee, it can knock the knee cap out of place.
- Meniscus tears – the menisci are two disc shaped pieces of cartilage. They are rubbery and help cushion the knee joint. Meniscus tears can occur due to degeneration over time or as a result of sporting injuries.
- Osteoarthritis – this is a mechanical form of arthritis that is caused by wear and tear over time. Osteoarthritis can cause the cartilage to become worn down and inflamed. As a result, your knee joint experiences friction when it moves and bony spurs can form. This can create painful, stiff and inflamed knee joints.
As there are many different causes of knee pain, it’s important you visit a board certified Harvard doctor. An experienced pain management specialist can diagnose your knee problem and create a treatment plan that suits your needs. There are many non-invasive knee treatments that will help get you back on your feet in a safe and effective way.
What Is A Pain Doctor?
A pain doctor is a board certified Harvard doctor who is an expert in diagnosing and treating functional pain issues. This means they have passed rigorous medical examinations and have an abundance of experience in using the most advanced pain procedures.
If you want the best knee pain manhattan treatment, it’s important your pain doctor has the following:
- Board certification – this demonstrates your pain doctor has passed intense medical examinations and is at the top of their field. A board certified pain doctor has an abundance of knowledge, skill and experience in treating different pain issues.
- Harvard training – Harvard Medical School is the number one medical school in the world. Doctors trained by prestigious Harvard professors have exceptional academic and medical ability. They are committed to further expanding medical research and provide some of the most advanced treatments in the country.
- Minimally invasive treatment options – it’s vital your pain doctor provides the latest non-invasive treatments. Minimizing risk whilst maximizing your health must be at the heart of your pain doctor. A top rated pain doctor NY will use the most advanced cutting edge technology to diagnose and treat your knee pain.
- Friendly and caring demeanour – it is helpful if your pain doctor is compassionate. They understand why you might be worried about your pain and will spend time creating a custom care plan unique to your health status. Most important of all, your pain doctor will look at you as more than a collection of symptoms; they value creating healthy doctor-patient relationships.